Churchill and Roosevelt pray together

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cherrett/public_html/ww2today.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-fancyzoom/wp-fancyzoom.php on line 107

Susan Lipson January 10, 2018 at 5:55 am

I’m searching for the name of an old movie or documentary about Churchill and Roosevelt on board the H.M.S. Prince of Wales, during the Atlantic Charter Conference. The above picture of Churchill and Roosevelt was in the movie and the band played the mentioned hymns. What a poignant movie.

Jason Pilalas August 10, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Sadly four months to the day after the service the PRINCE OF WALES and her companion HMS REPULSE were sunk off the east coast of Malaya by Japanese torpedo and level bombers, an entirely unnecessary defeat brought about by poor strategic decisions and poor tactical choices.

Nicole Walsh November 24, 2015 at 2:45 am

Hi Carole,

Could you please forward me a copy of the photos as well. We are holding out 75th Anniversary Celebrations from August 11-14, 2016 and would love to display some of your collection.

Sincerely,

Nicole Walsh
Chairperson
Atlantic Charter Foundation Inc.
shipharboursite@gmail.com

Nicole Walsh November 24, 2015 at 2:45 am

Hi Carole,

Could you please forward me a copy of the photos as well. We are holding out 75th Anniversary Celebrations from August 11-14, 2015 and would love to display some of your collection.

Sincerely,

Nicole Walsh
Chairperson
Atlantic Charter Foundation Inc.
shipharboursite@gmail.com

Christy Brown November 15, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Hi Carole, I’d love to see the photos. Do you have them scanned?

George Wilkins November 13, 2015 at 3:43 am

To answer David Holloway’s question from February 2014, I bought the ‘missing’ Atlantic Charter medal about 20 years ago. It is silver, 3 inches in diameter, 3/8″ thick and weighs 8 ounces. The edge has the Hallmarks for 1941 and the initials T & S (the makers were
Turner and Simpson). One medal was presented to Mrs Roosevelt and is now at Longleat
in England. One the obverse are the portraits of the King and Queen, and the reverse shows Churchill and Roosevelt with the date 1941. A gold medal was struck from the original die in 1966.

Phonse Griffiths October 9, 2015 at 1:02 am

Hello ,I read your comment and would like toknow do u have the photo as we are setting up a museum on the atlantic charter,would appreciate if you would show them to me as i would lkie to know are they different from the ones I have from history books and online,thanks ,looking forward to hearing from you.

David Holloway February 4, 2014 at 8:44 pm

A silver medal was struck during the 1940s to commemorate the meeting of the President of the United States and the Prime Minister of Great Britain in mid Atlantic on 9th August 1941. I know this to be fact. It is my understanding that only a small number were produced, probably just 4. President Roosevelt was given one, as was Mr Churchill, I have been told that “One medal went to a museum or the Bank of England Vaults” and one “Disappeared” Is there still anyone out there who knows the full history of these medals and what happened to them?
The Atlantic Charter was a pivotal event of WW2 and received wide publicity at the time. Any info would be appreciated.

Carole Dineen November 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I have original photos of this occasion. My father was in the Navy and was aboard the US and British ships during this time. As I have been told, my father became friends with the photographer and was given about 10 pictures…all 8×10. I don’t know if all the sailors were given some or not. Do these have any value? My father drown when he was 32 and the pictures were passed down to me when my mother passed away about 30 years ago.