Hundreds killed as USS Franklin hit by sneak bomber

Aircraft carrier USS Franklin (CV-13) attacked during World War II, March 19, 1945.

Aircraft carrier USS Franklin (CV-13) attacked during World War II, March 19, 1945. Photographed by PHC Albert Bullock from the cruiser USS Santa Fe (CL-60), which was alongside assisting with firefighting and rescue work. Photo #: 80-G-273880, Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives. The carrier is afire and listing after she was hit by a Japanese air attack while operating off the coast of Japan – the crew is clearly seen on flight deck. After the attack the vessel lay dead in the water, took a 13° starboard list, lost all radio communications, and broiled under the heat from enveloping fires. Many of the crewmen were blown overboard, driven off by fire, killed or wounded, but the hundreds of officers and enlisted who voluntarily remained saved their ship through sheer tenacity. The casualties totaled 724 killed and 265 wounded, and would have far exceeded this number if it were not for the exemplary work of many survivors.

On the 19th March 1945 the carrier USS Franklin was 50 miles off the coast of Japan, participating in air strikes against the main island of Honshu by Task Force 58. On deck were 31 armed and fueled aircraft about to be launched, with more armed and fuelled aircraft were in the hangar deck below. Suddenly a Japanese bomber emerged from the clouds and dropped two 250kg bombs.

The first bomb penetrated into the hangar deck, setting off a devastating series of aviation fuel and ammunition explosions. The force of these explosions erupted onto the flight deck setting off further fires and explosions amongst the waiting aircraft. The ship soon began to list and for a time it seemed that the Franklin was doomed.

Pacific War Correspondent Alvin S. McCoy sent this account, which subsequently appeared in War Illustrated in Britain:

I was the only war correspondent aboard, a dazed survivor of the holocaust only because I was below decks at breakfast in the unhit area. The rescue of the crippled carrier, towed flaming and smoking from the very shores of Japan, and the saving of more than 800 men fished from the sea by protecting cruisers and destroyers, will be an epic of naval warfare.

Heads bobbed in the water for miles behind the carrier. Men floated on rafts or swam about in the bitterly cold water to seize lifelines from the rescue ships and be hauled aboard. The official loss of life will be announced by the Navy Department in Washington. Unofficial figures at the time showed 949 dead, more than 221 wounded.

Scenes of indescribable horror swept the ship. Men were blown off the flight deck into the sea. Some were burned to cinders in the searing white-hot flash of flame that swept the hangar deck. Others were trapped in the compartments below and suffocated by smoke. Scores were drowned, and others torn by exploding shells and bombs.

Countless deeds of heroism and superb seamanship saved the carrier and about two-thirds of the ship’s complement if more than 2,500. The tenacity of the Franklin’s skipper, Captain L. E. Gehres, who refused to abandon the ship and accept the aid of protecting ships and planes, virtually snatched the carrier from Japanese waters to be repaired so that she can fight again.

Fire and damage control parties who stuck with the ship performed valiantly. The carrier was all but abandoned, although the “abandon ship” order was never given. An air group and about 1,500 of the crew were sent to the U.S.S. Sante Fé. A skeleton crew of some 690 remained aboard to try to save the ship as it listed nearly twenty degrees. The Franklin’s aircraft which were airborne landed safely on other carriers.

The official casualty figures were 724 killed and 265 wounded but subsequent research, taking into the number of men first shown as missing, has placed the figure at between 807 and 924 killed.

Contemporary newsreel of the incident, without sound but has graphic footage of other Japanese planes, probably kamikazes, being shot down:

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Randy Meeks June 19, 2019 at 7:48 am

Was told by my dad, Grant Meeks that he was a gunners mate on the Franklin and was taken off the ship to get trained to be a gunner moments before the attack. I have more questions now but he passed April 13, 2001. I feel I came amazingly close to nonexistent had he not been removed for that training, which is sobering when reflecting on the event. War is tragic in multiple ways!

Lee North May 29, 2019 at 4:26 am

My uncle, Wallace Mattsfield, was a wing commander of the Sky Raiders VMF-452, and along with his crew was killed 19 March 1945. Obviously, I never knew him since I was born in 1943 and was in the war at that time. I think of him and his career as a 19 year old Minnesota farm kid that never flew in a plane and became a Marine pilot. I’ll never forget my uncle…

Kathy B Cribbs May 27, 2019 at 10:26 pm

My Uncle Dallas Brown died on the USS Franklin. On March 19, 1945. To say we are Proud of him would be an understatement. My Grandpa Larkin Brown lost so much in that war. On this Memorial Day in 2019, let us not forget those who gave all they had. My Grandpa Larkin Brown gave so much, his sons Aldridge, Dallas, John, Gene, Roby Brown all served. They will never be forgotten. With so much Pride and Love, I want to say, THANK YOU to ALL WHO SERVED OUR GREAT COUNTRY!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!

jerold Shealy May 3, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I lost many a relative during WW2. James on the Franklin, wendal (worth ) on the Pecos, Bernard at the Battle of Tarawa. Its amazing how 19 Shealy boys went to war, brothers and cousins, all from the same county in S.C. I never got to meet them but thank you for your service. We will meet in heaven, god bless you all

ROBERT BURKET March 13, 2019 at 9:15 pm

My Uncle Jack was a radar man and KIA on the Franklin 3-19-45. He as 20. Very sad that I never got to meet him. I will see him in Heaven. God bless all who served in all wars.

Christopher Newman February 1, 2019 at 9:57 pm

My brother-in-law Joseph Martin was a radar operator on the U.S.S. Frankland when it was hit. He was blown off the ship but survived. He has since passed away at 93 years old.

Donellan La Vigne August 25, 2018 at 11:48 pm

My grandfather Commander Joseph Taylor was the executive officer on the Franklin. I am petitioning the government to have my grandfather awarded the Medal of Honor. I welcome all comments.

DeAngelis Marshall October 29, 2017 at 9:29 am

Wow. Rest in Unity guys, that video is very difficult to watch all the way through. I am amazed how the warriors even the camera men reacted. Me never being in the war is stunned and so so so appreciative!

James Eades December 20, 2015 at 5:00 am

I served on the USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 in 1969. Found this most interesting. Thank you!

Phillip watts October 15, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Thank you for displaying this clip
It is suppriseing what these brave soles went
Through as us born in the seventies and eighties have lived without
The horrors of world wars God bless all those lost soles.

Leave a Comment

Earlier in the war:

Later in the war: