HMS Dunedin sunk in the south Atlantic

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cherrett/public_html/ww2today.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-fancyzoom/wp-fancyzoom.php on line 107

Michael Collins July 14, 2019 at 10:55 pm

My father Albert Collins was on the Dunedin when she was sunk on that fatefull day
he did survive and died back in 1990
Rest in peace Dad

James Murray May 10, 2019 at 11:11 pm

My Uncle, Alexander Wilson Murray was a Stokers Mate on the Dunedin and was listed among the lost. My Dad joined up and served as an aero engine mechanic in the Fleet Air Arm not long afterwards. He was away from home for over 5 years. Passed away 2002. RIP Dad and Uncle.

Wayne Brook January 13, 2019 at 9:09 am

My Great Uncle Fred Hawks was a survivor from the sinking. He was a telegrapher. He was very unfortunate as this was his second ‘sinking’! He had also survived the sinking of HMS Royal Oak in Scapa Flow in 1939.

Kevin Jackson November 27, 2018 at 2:10 am

I lost my grandfather Harold P. Batching on the Dunedin. I believe he was the chief engineer.

Robert Wilson Ritchie July 5, 2018 at 5:32 pm

George Wilson Ritchie, boy sailor was lost on HMS Dunedin. He was the youngest serviceman from Musselburgh to die in service of his country. He came from 35 Dalrymple Loan and was dux pupil of Fisherrow School in 1938. I have a bundle of letters and admiralty correspondence of the time Dunedin was sunk. It was a harrowing time for the family. Even now, almost 80 years later, the story of HMS Dunedin is still such a tragic loss of life.

Ian dyer April 3, 2016 at 12:48 pm

My great uncle named Lesley Dyer , was on the rafts along side a person only known ( nickname) Pippin? , was told that Pippen lost his mind God bless him, went for a swim & was attacked by sharks , Les his best friend also went in to help him & sadly he lost his life , Lesley Dyer was a 1936 silver medalist at the Berlin Olympic Games , service boxer, & was on the prize ship list taking from a nazi supply ship , boarding it & before they tried to scuttle it they seized the codes & equipment for Bletchley park.

Does anyone know who pippen was , ? as my dad would love to know as his uncle les was good friends with pippen they where sparing partners , R.I.P uncle les & also pippin ,

I went to the H.M.S Dunedin socity meeting survivors bless them , someone must know piping would be happy for any information regarding pipin a good pall of Lesley dyer , did hear the u124 was lost with all hands , ? 1942 ? the good times came to the end just after the Dunedin was lost , & with the information suplyed by HMS Dunedin prize ship crew saved many lives on the sea , of which my great uncle was part of brave boys ,

Karen November 17, 2015 at 11:50 am

The time was 1326 GMT. Source: http://www.hmsdunedin.co.uk/hms-dunedins-story/

David Vernon November 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm

The sharp lookout on SS Nishmaha was Third Mate Roy Murray and in 2005 he was still alive: http://www.hmsdunedin.co.uk/nishmaha_reunion.htm