Torpedo attack on the Bismarck

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cherrett/public_html/ww2today.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-fancyzoom/wp-fancyzoom.php on line 107

Gill Crabbe December 21, 2018 at 10:46 am

I wonder if anyone can tell more more about my late-father FR Crabbe (d1984) (known as Steve) who was a pilot in 810 Squadron and involved in the Bismarck sinking. I have a newspaper cutting

Rodney Pattisson November 23, 2017 at 10:21 pm

John Moffat did nor fire torpedo that crippled the Bisamarck, as he attacked her port side.
The fatal shot was at her starboard side and only 2 pilots attacked that side, Godfrey-Fawssett and Ken Pattisson. The latter was the most likely as Pattisson altered his aim at the very last moment when he saw Bismarck altering hard to port to comb the first attack at her port side which including Moffat. Proof of this can be seen on James Cameron’s film on You-Tube ‘Expedition Battleship Bismarck’ footage timed at 1 hour and 7 mins.

Jim Standen March 18, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Worked alongside man name of Hector Dangerfield. He flew rear gunner position in Fairey Swordfish that flew to attach Bismark but attached in error HMS Sheffield. Do you have any information on the incident including confirmation of Hector.
Regards.
Jim

Marcus January 25, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I wanted to ask if you could find if my grand dad was apart of the attack on the Bismarck. I knew he flew the swordfish but I don’t know if he was apart of the mission. his name is Arthur Ingham. any info will help thanks :)

Dan Burress May 31, 2015 at 1:36 am

Dear John.I have not been able to find your wife’s grandfather among the 810 Squadron that attacked the Bismarck. He may have served aboard the Ark Royal in the ordinance department which would have handled the ships torpedoes. This is going to take some time to ferret out the facts. I will see what I can do. sign, Dan.

Dan Burress May 31, 2015 at 1:24 am

Dear John: I will try to find out if your wife’s grandfather either flew with Squadron 810 which attacked the Bismarck, or was with torpedo or ordinance departments aboard the HMS Ark Royal. This may take some time. God bless!

Dan Burress May 31, 2015 at 12:09 am

A humble correction. The Hood never hit the Bismarck.The damage to Bismarck’s fuel bunkers was caused by two 15 inch shells fired by HMS Prince of Wales.The hits ruined much of Bismarck’s fuel reserves, flooded the ship forward and reduced her speed, and she was forced to abandon her mission

Dan Burress May 31, 2015 at 12:03 am

I would humbly like to make a correction. The HMS Hood never hit the Bismark. Two fifteen inch shells from HMS Prince of Wales struck Bismark on her starboard side below the waterline forward of Bruno turret and sliced open her fuel bunkers and caused serious flooding, and loss of vital fuel needed for operations.The ship remained down by the bow until her demise, unable to make full cruising speed, and forced Captain Lindermen to abandon the hunt for allied shipping and abort the mission.

John April 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I have been recently told that possibly my wife’s grandfather fought in this battle against the Bismarck. All I know is that he as a ” torpedo man” and may have flown against the Bismarck. His surname is Mahoney. I would love to find out more for both my wife and children.
Regards John

peter December 4, 2014 at 2:08 am

weapons systems old or new are only as good as the men that fight them.

Rick Carrasco October 1, 2014 at 12:08 am

God Bless all soldiers from all wars on both sides. War is a horrible thing and most of its casuties are young men. Not knowing or unaware of why they have been chosen to fight. Now let’s crush the extremists and bring them all home. God Bless America