The Battle of Tassafaronga, off Guadalcanal

United States Navy Task Force 67 just before the Battle of Tassafaronga on November 30, 1942. USS Fletcher is in the foreground, followed by other destroyers and, in the distance, cruisers.

The Japanese were now struggling to maintain supplies to their troops on Guadalcanal, where the surrounding sea was fiercely contested. Henderson Air Field had been reinforced and the US planes made daylight re-supply missions by shipping impossible.

The Japanese had started sending munitions by a nightly submarine drop but this was only able to provide the bare minimum that was needed. Now they resorted to half filling oil drums with supplies – these would be tied together in long chains and would be dropped at night to float in the water. They would then be pulled in to the shore by the land forces.

The plan was for Japanese fast destroyers to deliver the first of these drops on the night of the 30th November. Coastwatchers were able to spot the departure of this force – the intelligence was passed along and the US Navy despatched Task Force 67 to intercept. The US ships should have been well placed to effect an ambush as they had the significant advantage of Radar on a proportion of their ships. The US ships did identify the Japanese force by Radar and launched 24 torpedoes at them.

If most, or even any, of the 24 torpedoes had hit their targets the subsequent controversies about the Battle of Tassafaronga would probably have never emerged. Unfortunately they did not. The US Navy had yet to recognise that their Mark 15 torpedoes used from ships, like their Mark 14 torpedoes on submarines, were not effective. Amongst other problems they usually ran too deep and passed under the ships they were targeted at.

So in this action when the Japanese realised they were under attack they were able to swiftly respond. Their Long Lance torpedoes were very effective and did terrible damage to the US ships.

USS Minneapolis at Tulagi with torpedo damage a few hours after the battle, on December 1, 1942

USS New Orleans near Tulagi on 1 December 1942. The bow was blown off forward of turret two during the Battle of Tassafaronga the night before, killing 180+ of the ship’s crew.

On the USS New Orleans a torpedo hit ignited the forward magazine and blew the whole of the front of the ship off.

Herbert Brown, a seaman on USS New Orleans described the scene after the torpedo hit:

I had to see. I walked alongside the silent turret two and was stopped by a lifeline stretched from the outboard port lifeline to the side of the turret. Thank God it was there, for one more step and I would have pitched head first into the dark water thirty feet below. The bow was gone. One hundred and twenty five feet of ship and number one main battery turret with three 8 inch guns were gone. Eighteen hundred tons of ship were gone. Oh my God, all those guys I went through boot camp with – all gone.

A close up of damage to the USS Pensacola during the battle of Tassafaronga.

The Battle did, however, prove to be a turning point. Despite the damage done to the US ships the Japanese were still unable to complete the resupply mission. Subsequent attempts to drop resupply loads in the water were shot up by the US planes from Guadalcanal. Soon the Japanese had to recognise that their attempt to dislodge the US forces from Guadalcanal had failed and they would have to withdraw. They would be retreating all the way back across the Pacific to Japan for the rest of the war.

It is striking how both the Japanese and the Germans were forced to recognise, by the harsh realities of war, that they were over-extended. In the space of little over a week both discovered that their most advanced units could not make any further progress and were in fact isolated and vulnerable. But the strategists in both countries took a very long time to face up to what that really meant.

The U.S. Navy heavy cruiser USS New Orleans (CA-32) camouflaged at Tulagi, Solomon Islands, some days after she was torpedoed during the Battle of Tassafaronga on 30 November 1942. Note that her stern is riding high, and that her forward end is low in the water. The torpedo and subsequent explosion had severed her bow between No.1 and No.2 eight-inch gun turrets.

See Navy Department, Office of Naval Intelligence, Combat Narrative for much more.

Louis Swensen January 17, 2019 at 7:10 am

Lost my Brother-August John Swensen,jr.

Dale Lawson August 17, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I lost my Uncle on USS New Orleans. Lester Rogers. I believe he was in the #2 turret. We never received his remains. He lived in a very small town in Colorado (900) a small memorial is in the Cemetary there. We believe his remains may have been with or in place of one of the 3 Rogers brothers, of course that’s speculation. The narrative had to be maintained to put the separation of brothers to be put in place. 3 of 4 Uncle Lester’s siblings where in the Navy including my mother, who served at Pearl Harbor and met my father another Navy man.
RIP UNCLE LESTER.

Dave Capps August 14, 2018 at 3:45 am

My Uncle Alfred Capps was killed on USS New Orleans

Stacy Eubanks April 13, 2018 at 5:14 am

My grandfather, Dean Louis Dubois was killed November 30, 1942 while aboard the New Orleans manning the forward number 1 gun. My mom was very young, only 19 months old when he was killed. I would love to know if there are any crew photos with the ship and if so how do I go about finding one?

Jeff Chalmers April 2, 2018 at 12:56 am

My fathers cousin, Frank Alverson, was in turret 2 and killed in this battle. He was first burried on Tulagi, then his body was moved to Rosecrans Cemetary on Pt. loma… I have visited his grave.

Tom Barfoot October 13, 2017 at 6:58 am

My father Harry N Barfoot Jr served on the USS New Orleans, He boarded in SanDiago after a refit and served as a RD3 I still have all of his uniform also my god father was Wes Harvey of the Nautilis who made it under the ice cape in 1958 then commander of the Thresher Submarine that went down in 1963 both from Philadelphia Frankford HS

Teresa Baylis September 21, 2017 at 9:34 pm

My father served on the USS New Orleans. He never said much about the war, although we did know his ship was hit in the battle of Tassafaronga.

Gerald Donnelly May 28, 2017 at 7:59 am

My father served on the USS New Orleans, he was the head engineer in the engine room and told me the story of how the bow was blown off and they were trapped in a partially submerged engine room with 4 decks above them flooded and they spent 3 days plugging leaks, jamming rags with broom handles, because that’s all they had, after 3 days the 4 men were told to line up vertically on the ladder and the plan was to blow the hatches simultaneously and they would shoot out like corks using the air pressure left in the engine room, the plan worked and he said he asked one of the officers how they knew it would work and was told ” We didn’t know it would but we were out of options!” He talked about hiding in a jungle cove until a temporary wooden bow was built!

John Armstrong February 27, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Years ago my Father, who was a Navy Sea Bee 2nd class stationed on Tulagi, told me the story of the day that he and a Sea Bee buddy were called away secretly by their commanding officer for a “special assignment”. They were taken through the jungle to a cove where they were shown a large camouflaged capital ship with the entire bow blown away during the sea battle close to Guadalcanal. They were instructed to work with other Sea Bee’s to construct a temporary bow out of wood so it could be towed away for more permanent repairs elsewhere. I’m now wondering if this ship was the New Orleans?

Bob Roberson January 16, 2017 at 2:18 am

I lost three uncles, Jack, Charlie and Keith Rogers in the battle of Tassafaronga Strait. They were in one of the forward turrets together. I was wondering if I could find out which turret they served in one or two ?

Carolyn Boykin November 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I, too, lost my Uncle Clyde Thompson way before I was born. Through the years. My mother’s family talked about their brother and what a sweet, kind young man he was. I was also told that my grandfather, Uncle Clyde’s father never really ever got over the loss. I am sorry that our family missed out on having him around but I am very thankful for him and the many men who gave their lives so that we could be free! God bless the USA!!

Shannon (Kramer) Dvorak November 24, 2016 at 3:27 am

I lost my uncle Johnny Kramer on the USS New Olreans. Well before I was born. Wish I could have known him!

robert gouty August 4, 2016 at 7:50 am

I lost my two cousins Frank and Tony. Perigini. they were gunners mates in the forward gun turrets.