Nazis order that children be ‘deported’

The chairman of the Lodz ghetto Judenrat, Chaim Rumkowski, makes a speech in the ghetto.

Perhaps one of the cruelest aspects of the Holocaust was the way the Nazis manipulated their victims into co-operating in their own demise. In every ghetto they appointed a Jewish council – a Judenrat – to administer civil affairs on their behalf. The Jews themselves became responsible for implementing the demands of the Nazis. At first this amounted to registering people, organising work, organising the distribution of food.

Then as the deportations to the death camps began the Judenrat were expected to select the individuals who would be ‘resettled in the East’. At first the thin fiction that people were genuinely going to be 'resettled' was maintained. But as the deportations continued more and more people left the ghetto on cattle trucks, never to be heard from again. Few now clung to the illusion that deportation was anything other than a death sentence.

In the Lodz ghetto, the Chairman of the Judenrat was Chaim Rumkowski, a man who firmly believed that by dealing with the Nazis he could mitigate the worst of their persecutions. He established the Lodz ghetto as a centre of numerous workshops that produced goods for the German war effort – believing that by making themselves useful they would be spared.

Yet his belief that he could deal with the Nazis was being undermined. On the 2nd September the Nazis had demanded that the sick from the hospitals be deported. Now they demanded most of the children under ten.

The crowd gathered in the Lodz ghetto noticed that Chaim Rumkowski had physically changed, becoming white haired and haggard over the course of a few days. As he stood to address them in the late afternoon of the 4th September 1942, it became apparent why:

A grievous blow has struck the ghetto. They are asking us to give up the best we possess … the children and the elderly.

I was unworthy of having a child of my own, so I gave the best years of my life to children. I’ve lived and breathed with children.

I never imagined I would be forced to deliver this sacrifice to the altar with my own hands. In my old age I must stretch out my hands and beg: Brothers and sisters, hand them over to me!

Fathers and mothers, give me your children! [Transciber’s note – Horrible, terrifying wailing among the assembled crowd.]

I had a suspicion something was about to befall us. I anticipated “something” and was always like a watchman on guard to prevent it. But I was unsuccessful because I did not know what was threatening us.

I did not know the nature of the danger. The taking of the sick from the hospitals caught me completely by surprise. And I give you the best proof there is of this: I had my own nearest and dearest among them, and I could do nothing for them.

I thought that that would be the end of it, that after that they’d leave us in peace, the peace for which I long so much, for which I’ve always worked, which has been my goal. But something else, it turned out, was destined for us.

Such is the fate ofthe Jews: always more suffering and always worse suffering, especially in times of war.

Yesterday afternoon, they gave me the order to send more than 20,000 Jews out of the ghetto, and if not – “We will do itl” So, the question became: “Should we take it upon ourselves, do it ourselves, or leave it for others to do?”

Well, we – that is, I and my closest associates – thought first not about “How many will perish?” but “How many is it possible to save?” And we reached the conclusion that, however hard it would be for us, we should take the implementation of this order into our own hands.

I must perform this difficult and bloody operation – I must cut off limbs in order to save the body itself – I must take children because, if not, others may be taken as well, God forbid.

[Horrible wailing.]

See The Chronicle of the Lodz Ghetto, 1941-44.

Children leaving the Lodz ghetto during the deportations. They would have been gassed upon arrival at Chelmo death camp, usually within 24 hours of leaving the ghetto.

More children leaving the Lodz ghetto for the death camp at Chelmno. Co-operation by the Jews made the Nazi mass murder easier to achieve – whether there was any alternative remains controversial.

Henry Lesnick September 11, 2017 at 3:22 am

It must have been hard on the judenrat. Aiding the nazis in the extermination of so many. As long as there were ghetto jews available for extermination there were always others to be saved. Until there were no others. The heroes were the men and women who escaped the ghettos to join the partisans and destroyed the nazi troop trains and launched guerilla attacks and who Eisenhower praised for their bravery that hastened the allied victory over the nazis. Certainly not the judenrat.

Ellen September 11, 2017 at 1:01 am

With the rise of anti-semitism in the United States, I have urged everyone I know to learn from our history and be prepared for armed resistance!! I am a peaceful person BUT should they come for me or my family, but I will not go peacefully. RESIST! PREPARE TO GIVE MEANING TO `”NEVER AGAIN!”

LMPSchaefer September 11, 2017 at 12:40 am

The poor children did not know any better than to obey their elders. Sad.

Sharon September 10, 2017 at 10:32 am

Unthinkable evil!

Elizabeth September 10, 2017 at 7:08 am

I am sick. The analogy is startling.

George Bernard September 10, 2017 at 12:56 am

I am not among those who say “forget, and move on with your life.” I regret retribution was not enacted. Every Nazi soldier either in the SS or the Wermachct or the SS, or in the Eisenstadt Grupen, the latter following the Wermacht into newly invaded areas of Eastern Europe who would round up Jews for immediate execution, they should all be have tried and put to death. Yes, it would involve the roundup of murderers into the millions. This might have told the world that genocide is punishable by death. Every German who either fought or lived through the war carries guilt. Now we know that would never have been feasible and the World Powers though shocked by the Holocaust, would never undertake such an operation. And while the world momentarily felt sorrow for the Jews, it was not long lasting. After all, they were only Jews, not God fearing Crstians. And, lest we not forget, the Jews killed our father, Jesus Christ. Well, that’s what should have happened. Somehow the German people should have been punished. They wildly cheered Hitler’s condemnation of the Jews and his threat to rid the world of what he referred to them as vermon.” If many Germans were not aware of the plight of the Jews, they were complicit by their silence.

Phil Lowe September 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm

With knife, sharpened garden trowel, cunning and stealth I would have struck death to any Nazi who tried to take my children as I escaped that country. When you fight ultimate evil, never give quarter. Never again. #Resist.

Ann Fox-Snider September 9, 2017 at 11:41 am

My old heart is breaking in two after reading this article. amy tears make it hard to see my words, but I want to express my sorrow and sympathy for what happened to these childres, rhe sick, and the old (like me). I feel a cold wave of nausea and of stark terror when I see the behavior and hear the words of so many of our president’s cohoorts, who believe such atrocities and who want to make the USA a “white nation.” I pray every night they will be stopped before it all begins!

Susan Chavez September 9, 2017 at 9:13 am

This is too horrible that it mirrors the DACA ending date. And the threat of deportation that all these/our children are facing. This is not by coincidence I fear.

Henry Oster September 9, 2017 at 6:40 am

I am one of the very few children from Lodz who survived Auschwitz and Buchenwald camps and was NOT among the children in this historical and tragic event. I was 15 at the time and used for forced labor. Any child younger was “expendable” and condemned to death.

Kathleen Byrne September 9, 2017 at 6:37 am

I have known about this soul-sickening murder of Jewish children but seeing the photos is heart-breaking…may their innocent souls rest in peace.

Gregg Martin September 9, 2017 at 1:45 am

There are the deniers. There are neo nazis. The scum of this earth in this age. That was a read that was sad, very horrific, and it seems we have not learned from this.

Michael September 8, 2017 at 10:57 pm

As long as there are evil people in this world and we know that there is, there will always be human suffering. The words “Never again” applies to all those good persons suffering under the heavy hand of despots, dictators and terrorists who see the lives of others as being expendable for their own ugly and selfish enrichment. Damn them all. Good will always conquer evil, but not without the efforts of those who recognize the evil, rise up against it and continue the fight against evil wherever it may exist.

Sylvia Allen September 8, 2017 at 6:22 pm

I was 8 in 1939 oblivious of this. If our parents knew of this, they naturally kept it from us. They would have been horrified it was happening, and praying Hitler would never reach Britain! So near in France, how fortunate we were he didn’t succeed. Evil monster!!!

Glen Hall September 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

We should now realize again that appeasement of evil is not possible.

Daniel Richard September 8, 2017 at 11:40 am

Unfortunately, todays’ Jews are doing the same thing with the Palestinians. They have not learned from past mistakes. Their own past, the Old Testament is filled with similar horror at the genocide of whole ethnic groups by them, the Jews and their God, Yahweh. It’s the children who suffer always.

Lydia September 8, 2017 at 5:26 am

I am a child of Holocaust survivors. I was born in a DP Camp in Germany. I lived with some of their traumas. I have watched, listened and I find myself learning more & more info on the horrors of what the Germans did. In present day Germany, Neo-Nazis are not permitted to protest pro fascist ideas or praise Hitler. Yet the US allow these discusting hate groups to march with guns by their side and preach their rant which is allowed because of freedom of speech. We should separate what freedom of speech is. Yes you can be heard and have a difference of opinion but not to protest hate which leads to harm. These groups who are deniers of the Holocaust should watch videos, pictures of the thousands of Jews who were murdered because of being a Jew. Unfortunately hate will not end unless we ban bad ignorant jerks from displaying their rant which will lead to violence.

Virginia September 8, 2017 at 4:34 am

Just to think of even one innocent little child, going trustingly to their death, not knowing (Thank God) what was about to happen! How inhumane! How can human beings let this happen to their loved ones? They were too trusting, not diligent, not paying attention, believing the lies and not believing their own eyes! Just like so many of us do today. Sometimes I think the right to free speech goes too far. In our world why should people be allowed to vomit hatred and poison the world.

Nancy Crowden September 8, 2017 at 2:37 am

History always repeats itself.
I worry for the future of the USA.
I worry for tomorrow.

Barbara Perle September 8, 2017 at 2:37 am

This year, having witnessed the desecration of Jewish cemeteries, Neo-Nazis spewing hatred marching in our streets making the Nazi salute, Sieg Heil, and hearing and watching this administration condone racism and bigotry, brings me to Attention. We cannot condone or tolerate hatred. ❤️Love Heals

BendelHydes September 7, 2017 at 10:11 pm

A terrible and horrendous suffocation that’s hard to comprehend

Manny September 7, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Have friend who was in Auswitz in his early teens.
His family perished but he escaped and fought
against Nazi in Hungary, got captured and put back
In Auswitz as a political prisoner. It is why he lives today..
Hitler was feeding his antisemetic base. The killing of
these young children was barbaric.
The book Constantine’s Sword the church and the Jews
gives some insight on what lead up to the Holocaust .
Peace….

R.Kraus September 7, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Unable to forget the holocaust. We must remember every day. Am Yisrael Chai

Cat Yuracka September 7, 2017 at 8:50 pm

When The Resistance says we are fighting fascism from taking a foothold in this country, it is not hyperbole! Hitler was an elected populist (as my husband, the history major, kept telling me during the election). Read the steps he took to dismantle the government BEFORE it turned into a totalitarian regime; then look at what this POTUS has done. It will make your blood run cold. Add to that the statement of his first wife, that he kept the book, “My New Order”, a collection of the speeches of Adolph Hitler, in the cabinet of the nightstand, and also had a copy of “Mein Kampf”, according to an interview given by both he and Ivanka for Vaniety Fair published 09/01/90. Considering we have all heard how frustrated his handlers are at the fact that he will not read ANYTHING that is not bullet points on one page…I think it is striking…and chilling…these are the only 2 books he has been reported to have read. Fascism isn’t hyperbole, it is what we will have in this country if we do not resist now! All the signs are there. The neo-Nazi white supremacists are already saluting him and saying “Heil Hitler”, and when they marched with lit torches in Charolettesville, it took him 48 hours to choke out a prepared condemnation…and that only lasted for 24 hours before he nullified it! If you don’t think it could happen again because we are too smart now…you are lying to yourself. This country elected him. That should tell you all you need to know.

Shirley September 7, 2017 at 8:48 pm

My parents survived the Lodz Ghetto and concentration camps. They lost most of their family. It is hard to believe such atrocities took place and the world let it happen. I never had grandparents, aunts, uncles or very few cousins. Today my father would have been 94 years old. We may forgive but never forget!! Don’t let all the death and destruction have been for nothing. I am sad to think this could ever happen!! My dad always told me Poland was free and a great place to live until the Nazis took over. We should never let it happen again!

Patricia September 7, 2017 at 8:33 pm

So many parallels to the 2017 policies being adopted.

Dianne September 7, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Besides the insanity and cruelty, besides the disbelief that one human being could treat another this way, especially a child; what did the world lose when it lost these children? Was one of them the doctor who would find a cure for cancer, a brilliant musician, teacher, physicist, humanist, peacemaker, or the child who as an adult would be the parent of these children or grandchildren.
My heart aches for what could’ve been.

Carole Onderdonk September 7, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Never forget.

jra September 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Visit and support the Holecaste museum in Washington, DC (and other like museums in other areas); that is one of the best ways to insure it never happens again.

Dan September 7, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Apparently, we never learn. Here we are only 72 years later face the same white supremacists whom mimic the NAZI SS and a leader whom helps spread this evil philosophy. Perhaps all media should play the recounts of those years of terror for a week straight to force people to learn/remember how dangerous and evil our current state is and could be should we allow the current administration to continue to support racism.

Pauline lee September 7, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Such horror unspeakable account

Yvonne September 7, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Sounds vaguely familiar from all the abomination perpetrated on us by the new Hitler in MY”DUMP” WHITE HOUSE
My father was there as the death camps were liberated. I t was incomprehensible the inhumanity to fellow man the nazis revelled in
Life changing for a 20 year old farm boy from Kansas

Arlene September 7, 2017 at 4:12 pm

And yet today there are some who refuse to believe that it really happened. So horrendous that one person or group can believe that they are more valued by God than another person or group! We are all equal in His sight! Prayers for peace for the persecuted everywhere!

James Pedersen September 7, 2017 at 3:23 pm

You can’t legitimately say the first and the last. If you believe there was an alternative, name it, other wise, you prove the “cooperation” myth. “(c)ooperation” is itself a loaded term, implying consent, a grievous mistake.

Theodore Gersdorf September 7, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Never again.

S September 7, 2017 at 3:01 pm

This is so very sad to read in hopes this will never be repeated. Sometimes I feel our current president is that evil if he had his way!

Skk September 7, 2017 at 2:36 pm

This is beyond tragic & sad. Clearly the Nazis were possessed by demons. The develish manipulation of community leaders to destroy their own in the ghetto is so depressing to read 75 years after. May the children & all the other victims rest in peace. Never to be forgotten!

Sister Soami September 7, 2017 at 2:34 pm

75 years later #45 rescinds #44’s DACA…..chilling the games these Warlords visit upon our innocent populations —for over 6000 years we have been tyrannized by the hegemony of the warlords. How might we truly end this cruel insanity?

Eric September 7, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Now here, in America, we have a sociopath dictator that is hell bent on eradicating everyone but white nationalist scum. The police are on his side. It’s only a matter of time.

Jennifer Shaw September 7, 2017 at 9:17 am

There are no words to describe this horror. There
are faint whispers of this happening in our country. We must be eternally vigilant. RESIST!!!!

Arleen Henton September 7, 2017 at 6:44 am

WE must never allow this to happen again! Never in America! Trump ending DACA can lead to a similar fate of those children who came from Nicaragua where they escaped from horrific abuse and murder. We must resist Trump and the entire unholy, unmoral GOP!

shirley finster September 7, 2017 at 6:43 am

Thank-you for this valuable post! Hard to read – but important. Important to linger even – and fully grasp the similarities to what is happening right now in our country. We should be in full resistance mode, but, like the Germans, we can’t phathom that our beloved America could really be falling into the hands of a crazy, cruel, greedy, maniacal dictator.

Belinda September 7, 2017 at 5:48 am

How can the world ever doubt that this actually happened? As a mother I cannot phathom letting my children leave my presence on an order from a madman. I would have run and kept running until they were safe or I was dead. But to just blindly send them away when there was even a hint of what was going on, no way. My heart screams for these children, for the mothers and fathers. But for Chaim Rumoski I feel no compassion, only hatred of a man who sold his own people out.

Levon September 7, 2017 at 5:38 am

What? Who on earth are you Clive? How is this a surprise or a new revelation to you? Have you never heard of the holocaust? Serious question.

Patrice Finn September 7, 2017 at 4:55 am

This is incomprehensible and the reality is that this is still happening today. Maybe children are being rounded up like cattle like they were in WWll, but they are still victims of oppression, war, and famine. How can we call ourselves civilized when we allow this to take place in a modern world? We must nver forget the past, but we must also recognize that we still have a long way to go in fighting prejudice, hate, and the lack of human rights for millions of people. We can do better and we must do better!

Josh September 7, 2017 at 4:40 am

the anger that reading this created inside of me is hard to explain. what kind of human, especially one that ever had children of their own, could take children from their parents and treat them like a faceless disease to be wiped out. it is beyond evil and the current progressively more evil momentum of this administration must be stopped as soon as we can. thank you for drawing this painful parallel for us.

Val Wood September 7, 2017 at 4:27 am

We must not sit silently by while hatred insidiously winds its way into daily life.

Make your voice be heard.

Vote out those that applaud evil wrapped in the guise of ‘national pride’.

Silence is as much the enemy as those that gain power theough fear and intimidation.

NEVER AGAIN… to us or anyone else!

Robert Holmén September 7, 2017 at 4:07 am

And there’s a thousand other horrors from the Holocaust that we just won’t find out about because they killed everyone instead of almost everyone

Danny September 7, 2017 at 4:05 am

This is hell. Too horrible to imagine. And it took so many people to pull off. The guards, the train operators, the neighbors at each destination. All complicit. There will always be murderers. It’s the vast numbers of people who didn’t pull the trigger or gas valve that I find most terrifying.

Guy Garrett September 7, 2017 at 4:00 am

I’m 60 years old and still young . I studied WWII in history and I devoured everything written about the Holocaust . This cannot happen again . This cannot be the world we live in today where history is repeated .

Walls go up, hate is stoked and fanned like flames in a furnace .
America has to wake up from this Trimpian nightmare fast .
It is time to stop this insanity before it’s too late .
We cannot wait !

dl September 7, 2017 at 3:36 am

And if this horror were to be perpetrated again today in our modern age, what would you do? The elimination of DACA is an example of a xenophobic government ripping innocent youth from their homeland and sending them to, at best, abject poverty, some to their death, and all to an unknown future in a strange and unfamiliar lands. Isn’t it sickly ironic that a Jew who claims orthodoxy is a proponent of the current regimes cowardly DACA fiasco.

flo staggs September 7, 2017 at 3:33 am

Who can make such choices? I sobbed, loudly, as I read this article. When people are hoping to survive and yet, at the cost of their children, what is there to live for? That human beings are caught up in this insanity is beyond comprehension.

Mim September 7, 2017 at 2:37 am

The movie, “The Boy in the Stripped Pamjamas” comes to mind. A very powerful movie of these times.

John Slattery September 7, 2017 at 2:32 am

It is disturbing to confront the similarities between our current right religious activity and gains in influence with the history of the last zealots, Nazi’s!

Dorothy Ogden September 7, 2017 at 2:18 am

I think it is a disgrace and a crime that what the Nazis did to children, the elderly, and disabled is not common knowledge. It seems incredible that such a thing could have happened, especially, in civilization.

Elaine September 7, 2017 at 2:14 am

My heart weeps. There are no words.

Elaine Kirschbaum September 7, 2017 at 2:03 am

We never learn any past mistakes and horrendous deeds. To this day many People do not believe there was an unbelievable horror done by the Nazis. Just look at the news today.\
So many hate Jews. This has always astounded me as most worship a Jew called Jesus.
G-d help the world if we can’t stop these haters.
I sometimes think these people think that the Jews somehow had manna from G-d rained down upon them. I don’ t think they were ever educated. Don’t they know the Jews were slaves in the land of Egypt and their bodies are buried in the bricks and mortar of the Pyramids, yes the Jews were the slaves that built those resting places of the Kings of Egypt.

anonymous September 7, 2017 at 1:31 am

Thank you for this blog though it is nearly impossible for me to read. I can’t even glance at the 2nd photo. I have shared on my FB page. Of my 600+ friends, 3 have responded. I hope we are not watching history repeat itself.

Serge Small September 7, 2017 at 12:41 am

As a child of Lodz Ghetto survivors, I know all too well what they went through, especially my father. His wife and 3-year-old were in that deportation, straight to Chelmno. I didn’t find out that he had a wife previous to my mother until I watched my uncle’s Shoah Foundation video. When I heard the words from him, my jaw dropped.
As a history teacher, I made it my goal to learn beyond my parents’ stories. I was trained at the USHMM in Holocaust history, and later participated in the Arthur and Rochelle Belfer National conference for educators.
I gave Holocaust presentations every year, dedicating it to my parents and family they lost, invited survivors to my middle school, and every year, I read Rumkowski’s speech to the students. Even as I write this, tears are forming.

Lawrence Hall September 6, 2017 at 11:26 pm

This article hits hardest because we are allowing 800,000 innocent souls to be subjected to the very same fate. If these unfortunates are forced to return to their home country, the results will be catastrophic. Many may not die and these may be the most unfortunate. To live a life, of sorrow and horror, when they have done nothing wrong. It is like sending children to prison because they were in the room when their father committed a crime.

God help us all if we sit passively by and allow this abomination to occur. While this may not be a call to arms, it is a call to action. If we sit passively and allow this to happen, then we should be charged as accessories to murder. If you believe in a just God, love each day in fear of justice, no doubt we will be assigned to a particularly horrendous part of hell.

Join together now, in every way with all who will join in this holy battle. It requires us to take action and prevent this abominable injustice. Every Christian must do everything possible to assure these “children” are protected from this unspeakable crime. We must stand as God’s warriors to assure peace and safety for all. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Amen and Amen.

Gigi Pomerantz September 6, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Let us not allow this current administration to repeat the horrors of the Holocaust by deporting children. Do not be silent! Call your legislators TODAY and tell them to continue DACA with a path to citizenship for these young people brought here innocent and grew up as Americans.

Michelle September 6, 2017 at 11:04 pm

This made me physically ill , I can’t imagine the cruelty of these ppl! As a mother I couldn’t imagine the pain of knowing my child would be treated in this manner and be sentenced to death simply for her religion. It is just sick!!

Lenore Justman September 6, 2017 at 10:46 pm

#never forget #neveragain

Barbara Brooks September 6, 2017 at 10:29 pm

#Dreamers #Neverforget

Jill September 6, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Wtf??? Are you serous?!? No child, Jewish, African African, ECT should be put, into such abolishing pain. For the Jew who helped the Nazi, should have sacrificed himself, for the children, whether they still hurt others or not. In my eyes, you’re as much too blame for murder, as the Nazis

theresa Reuter September 6, 2017 at 10:03 pm

crying for our children of not so long ago ; I was a one year old in ’42; shaking now to glimpse the unimaginable horror inflicted on these children,
their parents, grandparents…all victims of Nazi hate.

Russell September 6, 2017 at 9:51 pm

This speech makes us all realize how easy our souls can be corrupted by gradualism. Here Rumkowski remains convinced that he is doing more good by rounding up the children himself, completely blind to the fact he has become an efficient tool for murder on behalf of the Nazis, even to the point of helping them exterminate the future generation of his people. He was trained by degrees. What a powerful reminder for us in America now as particular minority groups are targeted by the President for denigration and deportation.

Tom September 6, 2017 at 9:48 pm

And that was the flag those miserable evil shits were carrying in Charlottesville a few weeks ago.

Paul September 6, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Also On September 4th — 2017:

President Trump orders the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program to be closed down and 800,000 young people to be returned to countries that most of them have never seen.

FELICIA N TRUJILLO September 6, 2017 at 9:29 pm

What shocks me is that this quote is Rumkoski’s making it all about HIM and HIS suffering. This is the same guy responsible for 100,000 more deaths because he ignored the pleas of two Jews who had miraculously escaped from Auschwitz and traveled at great danger to warn this community. You can read about Vreba and Wexler here:

Deborah Golufuss September 6, 2017 at 9:01 pm

I can’t even imagine. It literally makes me physically ill. Such innocence lost.

Diane September 6, 2017 at 8:43 pm

A friend of mine too me to see art work of depictions of the horrors that the children went through during the holocaust. I seriously felt ill looking at sculptures of how the Nazis would grab children by the feet and smash their heads against concrete walls to kill them. Typing this those visions come back to me and I am feeling ill.

Billie Irwin September 6, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Innocent little Souls lining up for their own death.. heartbreaking

Fabian O. Perez September 6, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I’ve heard lot of horrible stories coming out of the ghetto during that time but actually reading about it and seeing pictures now is like oh my why was there so much hate for the Jews to the point of extermination?

Sheilah Silverstein September 6, 2017 at 8:04 pm

My father was orphaned in the Lodz Ghetto when his father perished. He was 9 or 10 years old. He survived by hooking up with some gypsy kids. They lived in sewers by days & foraged for food at night in garbage bins. He also was one of the Hidden Children. Can’t imagine how the Ghetto cappos (as they were called), could do what they did to their own people. I will never understand this as long as I live!

Dan September 6, 2017 at 7:36 pm

“Co-operation by the Jews made the Nazi mass murder easier to achieve – whether there was any alternative remains controversial.” This is a damning statement in its own right. From the safety of our homes, let us entertain the possibilities. What were they? Parents could refuse and hide their children? Rumkowski could refuse the Nazi’s order and fail to provide the children as was demanded? The consequences of any refusal was patently obvious – not only would the children be forcibly removed, but a greater number of men, women, and (slightly older) children would be taken as well. This then falls into the category of “choiceless choices.” To suggest that other alternatives existed is an insult to their collective memory.

Jane Baker September 6, 2017 at 7:35 pm

It is a sad fact that in our country today there are people who claim the Holocaust never happened; there are people who believe the Holocaust was justified; there are people who are willing to commit violence or to sit by and allow violence to happen to other Americans they believe are less worthy because of their skin color, their sex, their sexual orientation, their country of origin, their religious beliefs, and other idiotic unjustified criteria.

Susan September 6, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Now the early marching of Nazis is occurring in America. Have we learned this lesson, or will more human lives be sacrificed to the ultimate vile evil here too.

Going along, leads to no where but the cesspool of evil. There is no scenic route to a horrifying destination.

Cecilia September 6, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Oh! Such horrors and anguish felt by these poor souls! I cannot even imagine the pain and the suffering these poor people were subjected to by the Nazis. So full of hate for the Jews. I am sure these evil-minded people are burning in HELL for their atrocities!

aron pieman kay September 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm

my deceased mother and 2 of my aunts were in the lodz ghetto….
i can’t comprehend that the human race never learns from such experiences

Louise Cooper September 6, 2017 at 6:47 pm

This something to think about if anyone agrees that DACA should be ended and it is OK to remove a young person from the country where they grew up.

Melissa Sizer September 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I always thought that we would learn from the mistakes of others. I was so wrong. Our president wants to deport children that know no other country but this one. So sad it is.

A.Takir September 6, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Alternative? How dare anyone pose this? Would u rather they have been watching their children wrenched from their arms in vain hope? Shot on sit perhaps. The cruelty of Hitler’s regime came from the depths of Hell. His insanity spread until, regardless of their own feelings his soldiers either followed orders or lost their lives and their families. That does not excuse their culpability! The Jewish people of Lodz hold no responsibility for any of this! I too am Jewish. I grieve for all children across the world for whom choice is out of reach. It gets worse as times passes. For all the children and adults everywhere. If you think you are safe, you are delusional. Love all children
Always. Think of each one as they were your own

Mary Villalba September 6, 2017 at 5:50 pm

After Trump’s order to end DACA yesterday, one can easily make the comparison that he is attempting the same kind of deportation of children!

Aura Almanzar September 6, 2017 at 5:33 pm

The saddest part is that those people believed that they were saving lives. It’s like the blacks that voted for trump. Then came Charlotte Ville. And now he is deportating the dreamers. To a country they don’t know, and where life will be a fight for survival. And yet he claims to be a Christian. But all that is between him and God.

MARK STAWSON September 6, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately this may be more important now than ever.

Bonnie Parken September 6, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Through the oceans of tears streaming down my face, I am trying to think iof something, anything of value. To say. .We must look at the photographs of these innocent doomed children. We must read the heartbreaking heart wrenching announcement by Chaim Rumkowski to his people at the Lodtz Ghetto. He tried to take charge thinking that he could save some of the children …a position So unbearable… : Here I commit myself to saving the DACA children, now adults , from deportation. I continue to humbly do such small things as I can only do to put the children of the Earth first and foremost. If it calls for me to resist and lay my life down so that WE DON’T let the Evil in this country deport our DREAMERS or save a child, I will do so. How could I not?

Nancy E. September 6, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I am so sorry to say, that you would think people would learn, but no they continue to hate, hurt, torture and kill people that appear different. This hateful picture keeps appearing, as in, Bosnia, Rhawanda, Africa, and even the USA. Trump is sounding like Hitler more each day, spewing such hate. The holocaust has had such an impact on my thoughts of how humans treat each other and here we are with so much progress and technology and we have not changed our way of thinking. I dont think we are to judge others, but some take it to be their rezponsibility to order others to follow them.

John Donohoe September 6, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I have nothing to say. I am lamenting. My heart breaks every time we let something horrendous happen to children. God love the child.

Sam Pasha September 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm

A GERMAN UNFORGIVABLE DISGRACE.

Mel Snyder September 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm

One of the sad facts of Holocaust history is that few accounts and fewer photographs tell the story of what preceded the trains to the camps and the gas chambers and crematoria that awaited there. Mostly unappreciated is how the Nazis systematically conned the German public in much the same way Trump and the extreme right are conning America today. Fake news with publications like Der Sturmer demonized Jews just as Trump demonizes Mexicans and Muslims. Deportation was the phony tool of the Nazis just as it is of Trump and Sessions and the white nationalisms who support them. Sinclair Lewis admonished America with his novel, “It Can’t Happen Here” while it in fact showed that it could…and today, it is. Who could have thought that America could be led by a man who would equate those protesting reverence to the symbols of slavery with those who wish to enslave? A man who could willingly support the deportation of innocent people based on the Constitution while pardoning a man convicted of violating that same Constitution?

Keith September 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Unfortunately, we have not learned a thing from history. We witness, we comprehend… supposedly.

We quickly forget.

We repeat.

ron September 6, 2017 at 11:44 am

what did NAZIs expect to do with the pictures

Harold Stiles September 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

My heart is heavy with knowledge of what happened.

Susan September 6, 2017 at 7:06 am

You say “cooperation by the Jews made it easier for the Nazis.” I hope to G-d you are never on a jury for a rape trial, or anything where a victim cooperates in the hope that they will be spared worse violence. People *today* are still denying the Holocaust ever happened, due to the sheer scope of the evil involved. How hard is it to imagine that perhaps – just perhaps! – the people who were actually experiencing it, without any other frame of reference, innocently believed that each new horror was surely the very last they would suffer, & that surely – surely! – other human beings could not do worse to them…? Don’t victim blame; it’s adding the vilest insult to the more horrendous injury.

al September 6, 2017 at 6:54 am

As you look at this, we are now facing the end of DACA and possible deportation of hundreds of thousands of young people to uncertain futures in countries that are not where they were raised. Poverty and possible death awaits them being thrown over some ‘wall’ for political expediency of a lunatic. Has anything changed? It’s our turn to stand up to fascism here and now.

Annie Clark September 6, 2017 at 4:40 am

And, TO THE DAY, a mere 75 years later,
D.J. Trump orders the Dreamer children to leave our America.
Such shame we will reap….

Sarah Ralston September 6, 2017 at 4:18 am

Shameful that this is potentially happening on US soil now. While they will not be going to death camps, sending the Dreamers to the horrible conditions their parents fled from is equivalent!

Milos September 6, 2017 at 4:09 am

I’ve grown up with stories from the Holocaust, one worse than the other, but this vivid article and photos have completely decimated me. From this distance in time, it becomes so much clearer that we can’t only blame one nation, or one leader or even just one movement for this horror. This is what humans can do. All of us. Our spices.

Levi September 6, 2017 at 4:06 am

Today on Public Radio I heard two Jews who had made a movie discussing Jokes about ehe holocaust. I kid you no.t They laughed their way through the interview. The interviwer also laughed.
I carry the suffering and the anger to it with me all the time, including questions about God. Not if there is a God, but What is God?
In a 100 years or less, I predict the only people that remember the holocaust will be Jews.
Like the only people who remember the genocide of close to a million Aemenians are the Armenians

Andrea MacRae September 5, 2017 at 10:45 pm

And today in 2017, this very day, Trump announced that the people brought here as children without the right pedigree, the right papers, will be deported to…wherever. Just hand them over and we will get rid of them. Whether you agree with this or not, it’s the day he chose to do this. The day is a message. Pay attention to the message.

Andrew Shakespeare September 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Utterly incomprehensible. But we have no comprehension the conditions of the Lodz ghetto. That those parents were willing to contemplate what we would never dream of is testament to the inhumanity and extremity of the conditions they endured.

Ron April 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm

speechless… unable to comprehend

those poor little souls look like they are lining up to go to class at school.

Clive September 5, 2012 at 7:02 am

As a father myself, I cannot comprehend what I’m reading. I’m utterly devastated. I know what horrors were done during the war, but this makes unbearable reading. Such horrendous evil caused by people to other people must NEVER be forgotten. I do hope we genuinely learn from all this and those poor people didn’t die in vain. :(