Categories 1941Tags

Commando raid on Vaasgo, Norway

An Me 109 fighter attempts to take off as the Norwegian airfield of Herdla comes under low level attack, bombs can be seen exploding. Blenheim bombers from No.114 Squadron made this diversionary raid 80 miles south of Vaasgo on the 27th.

On the 26th Commando’s had returned to the Lofoten Islands after the raid earlier in the year, in [permalink id=10531 text=”March 1941″]. It had been a diversion for the main raid taking place at Vaasgo, Norway. This time it would be a rather bloodier affair.

Lieutenant Colonel Durnford-Slater was leading the raid:

About a hundred yards from our landing-place, I fired ten red Very light signals. This told the ships to stop firing and the aircraft to come in with their smoke bombs. As I leaped from the leading landing craft three Hampden bombers passed over me at zero feet with a roar. As they did so they loosed their bombs, which seemed to flash and then mushroom like miniature atom explosions. Some of the phosphorus came back in a great flaming sheet.

Next thing I knew both my sleeves were on fire. Fortunately I wore leather gloves and beat the flames out before they could eat through my four layers of clothing to the skin. The beaching had been made, dry, against snow-covered rocks which rose thirty or forty feet in an almost sheer wall. For the moment, we were unopposed and hidden from the enemy by smoke.

Unfortunately, however, one of the Hampdens was hit by anti-aircraft fire as she came in. Out of control, she dropped a bomb on an incoming landing craft. Bursting, the phosphorus inflicted terrible burns amongst the men. The craft, too, burst into flames. Grenades, explosives, and small arms ammunition were detonated in a mad mixture of battle noises.

We pushed the emptied craft out to sea where it could do us no harm, and Sam Corry, our big, efficiently calm Irish doctor, taking charge of the casualties, sent them back to the Prince Charles. The rest of us turned to the battle.

Durnford-Slater’s account of the street fighting that followed can be found in Commando: Memoirs of a Fighting Commando in World War Two.

Niall Cherry has collected together several different accounts of the raid, from the men who took part, in Striking Back: Britain’s Airborne and Commando Raids 1940-1942.

Captain Flaherty was wounded in the face during the fighting for the 'Red House' during the raid, losing the sight in one eye. After two years of operations he returned to duty wearing a black patch. He eventually rose to Brigadier and finished his service fighting in Korea.
Another walking wounded is helped to the Landing Craft at Vaasgo.

One thought on “Commando raid on Vaasgo, Norway”

  1. My dad James Wickens was 17 in this successful campaign. As the boats landed he lost a friend who was shot dead running off the boat. He told me how he accidentally killed a German running around a radio station with his bayonet down. The German had his held up and dad lied him. He wasn’t particularly proud of this but it saved his live. Dad lived until he was 89.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.